The AIDS Committee of York Region (ACYR) is thrilled to announce the launch of York Region’s first community-based harm reduction program. Starting today, ACYR will operate a satellite Needle Syringe Program (NSP) in partnership with York Region Public Health.
Our efforts to bring this program to York Region have come to fruition because of the strong voices, advocacy efforts and hard work of people who use drugs in York Region and our community partners.
We also thank our funders at the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and Public Health Agency of Canada for recognizing the need to support York Region through this program. ACYR now has essential resources to help reduce HIV and Hep C rates and promote the health and wellbeing of our community members who use drugs.
Our harm reduction program aims to help reduce stigma and discrimination against people who use drugs and enhance their health and wellness. We meet people where they are at. People who use drugs in York Region can connect with our harm reduction team members and get access to low-barrier services within their community as well as at our office location in a safe, non-judgemental, dignified, and confidential manner.
Our community-based Harm Reduction program includes:
- Needle Syringe Program
- Sterile needles and syringes, sterile water, cookers, vitamin C, filters, safe disposal of used works including personal used needle disposal containers
- Naloxone training and distribution
- Overdose prevention training
- Harm reduction training and health teaching
- Condoms and lubes
- Information and education about safer drug use and sex, street and prescription drug information, HIV and Hep C
- Wellness-based harm reduction drop-ins
- Sexual health and wellness promotion
- Monthly community-based HIV, Hep C and other STBBI testing drives
- Support and referrals to health and social services
All services are free and confidential.
We hope to build a more inclusive, safe, and compassionate York Region where people who use drugs have increased access to stigma-free services and can achieve their health and wellness goals.
Please connect with us for more information or to get harm reduction supplies.
Email: [email protected]
Visit us: 10909 Yonge Street, Suite 203, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 3E3
We are open Monday to Friday from 9 am to 4 pm
For training requests, please contact Arpa Azmila: [email protected] or 647-381-9199
By Arpa Azmila
Arpa is the Harm Reduction Program Manager with the AIDS Committee of York Region.