CAYR* COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS was originally founded as the AIDS Committee of York Region in 1993 and formally incorporated as a registered charitable organization in 1996.
Our Mission and Vision
To create safe, confidential, and inclusive spaces and services in York Region where people can access dignified support and meaningfully engage in self-determined pathways to well-being. We envision an informed, healthy, stigma-free and compassionate community.
Who We Work With
We offer specialized and combined programs for:
- People living with HIV/AIDS (newly diagnosed to long-term survivors)
- People affected by or at risk of HIV and Hep C
- People who use drugs
- People who identify as 2SLGBTQ+
- People supporting vulnerable and marginalized community members
We cultivate an environment where individuals and communities can equitably and meaningfully achieve their full potential.
We uphold human dignity and the rights of individuals and communities to make informed choices.
We nurture a holistic approach to well-being that includes physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspirations.
We build upon the collective strengths of individuals and communities.
Our values are rooted in the principles of:
- Greater and meaningful involvement and engagement of people with lived experience of HIV/AIDS, drug and substance use, as well as 2SLGBTQ+ identified community members.
- Harm Reduction
*“CAYR” is phonetically pronounced /keə(r)/ and is based on the word “CARE” as in “to care for” persons served by the agency.